Executive Director Job Description
Following the successful tenure of its current Executive Director, who has led the organization for more
than a decade, the Westfield United Fund is seeking its next leader to continue the Fund’s mission to
strengthen the Westfield community by directly funding agencies that provide essential services to
people in need.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director has overall strategic and operational
responsibility for the Westfield United Fund. The Executive Director serves as the primary leader and
representative of the organization to the community in this high visibility role. The Executive Director
will be responsible for continuing the success and impact of Westfield United Fund’s annual community
fundraising campaign and positioning the organization for sustainability and future growth.
Leadership & Management
• Direct and oversee all operations of the organization and serve as the primary point of contact
for the Fund in the community.
• Develop and oversee the Fund’s annual operating budget, provide timely reporting, and
maintain financial reserves.
• Support and work closely with the Board of Trustees, Treasurer, WUF Staff and auditor to
ensure sound financial management and sustainability of the organization.
Fundraising and Communications
• Serve as the primary point of contact for the organization, publicly representing and promoting
the Fund and networking and speaking at selected community and leadership events.
• Cultivate and build strong relationships with current and potential donors and other key
• Ensure effective oversight and management of the Fund’s donor management database and
timely processing of payments to agency partners.
• Oversee all aspects of developing and executing a proactive communications strategy for the
Fund. Help to build awareness and understanding of the unique role that Fund plays as a focal
point for funding agencies that support the most vulnerable members of our community.
• Ensure consistent branding and messaging in all communications and maintain a coordinated
cadence of communications – fundraising letters, press releases, email blasts, social media posts
etc. to increase the Fund’s visibility in the local community.
• Oversee the WUF website and other key communications channels working with staff and
vendors to develop timely, engaging content that supports the Fund’s mission and goals.
• Work with the Executive Committee to set annual goals and ensure the effective governance of
• Promote collaboration and information sharing among the Board of Trustees to fully engage and
leverage Trustees’ skills and expertise.
• Serve as an ad hoc member of all Board committees, providing advice and counsel and ensuring
consistency with the Fund’s overall mission and goals.
• A strong community-minded relationship builder, ideally a current or past resident of the
Westfield/Union County. Familiarity with local community organizations, civic and business
leaders and an understanding of community needs and priorities considered a plus.
• A track record of experience and success working with a nonprofit Board of Trustees with the
ability to cultivate strong working relationships with current and prospective new Trustees.
• Financial management experience including budgeting and cash flow management.
• Fundraising, marketing, and public relations experience, ideally in a nonprofit organization.
• Positive energy and passion for the mission of the Westfield United Fund, action-oriented, self-
• Skilled communicator with a track record developing relationships with a broad range of
stakeholders including donors, trustees, staff, nonprofit agency partners and community
• Experience leading, motivating, and building rapport with two part-time staff members.
This position is based at the Westfield United Fund’s office in downtown Westfield and has flexible 30
hour/week schedule. Some evening and weekend work is required for participation in board meetings
and community events.
Bachelor’s degree required
$65,000 - $75,000/year
How to Apply
Interested candidates are welcome to apply by submitting a cover letter and resume by March 31, 2023, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews during the month of April. Start date for the position is early June 2023.