Volunteer Opportunities at the Westfield Area Y
SHORT-TERM OPPORTUNITIES: Events and seasonal sports where youth learn teamwork, gain a sense of accomplishment and belonging and develop self-confidence. Here are the short-term opportunities:
- Special Events Volunteer - Under the supervision of the event coordinator, lend your time to community-wide events such as the 5K Run for Everyone, Healthy Kids Day, family events and holiday celebrations to assure they are well organized and enjoyable.
- Special Interest Volunteer - Share your particular talent or area of interest with adult members by providing a leadership role in programs, games, clubs or other activities.
- Youth Coach Volunteer - Instruct the players in the fundamentals of the sport as well as the principles of good sportsmanship during practices and games.
- Youth Basketball Referee Volunteer - Share your knowledge, skill and love for basketball by officiating at games and creating a safe environment for players, parents and coaches. Requirement: Basketball Referee Certification.
- Track Club Volunteer - Help provide a safe and fun environment for youth to learn and improve their running, jumping, and throwing skills and achieve success.
ON-GOING OPPORTUNITIES: These are ongoing opportunities with various levels of commitment where you can enrich the community. Here are the on-going opportunities:
- Dragonfly Volunteer - Support the Recreation Therapist/Special Needs Coordinator; help supervise activities; assist special needs young adults between the ages of 18-26 with games, crafts and physical activities. Programs run Monday-Wednesday from 5:00-7:00 PM
- Marketing Intern - Opportunities in all marketing areas including: social media, graphic design, writing, advertising, promotional materials, PR, photography and more. H.S. and College Students are welcome!
- Tutor/Homework Assistance - Provide the additional support a student needs to strive towards success in academics during the after school program. Requirement: must be 16 years or older.
- Kids Club Babysitting - Assist the staff in providing a safe, fun, and stimulating environment for the youngest Y members while their parents exercise. Requirement: must be 16 years or older.
- Special Expertise Volunteer - Enrich children’s experience by sharing your area of expertise, such as art, music, foreign language, horticulture, or science, with kindergarten students during the school term. Requirements: must be 18 years of age or older; must have completed associate degree or equivalent.
- Health & Wellness Volunteer - Lend your skills to various organizational tasks that enable the Y to provide numerous classes and programs that increase the health and wellness of members.
- Teen Activity Volunteer - Various teen activities would benefit from the presence of interested adults willing to assist with organizing and/or chaperoning the events.
- Leaders Club Volunteer - Assist in leading, organizing and supervising activities that support and encourage teens committed to making a difference, both locally and globally. Experience: team building experience and leadership skills with teens would be valuable, but not required.
- Administrative/Clerical/Finance Volunteer - Assist with various aspects of administrative and clerical duties such as filing, mailings, computer work, Excel assignments and special projects.
- Maintenance/Facilities Volunteer - Lend your time and skills to a variety of tasks, such as painting, light repairs and gardening in an effort to maintain our buildings and grounds.
- Special Needs Program Support Assistant - Provide support to participants in a specialized program in a manner that is fun, engaging and accessible to children and/or adults with special needs/adaptive needs.
For more information or to volunteer, please CLICK HERE and call 908-301-9622 to be directed to the head of the department you are looking to volunteer in.